AdventHealth Director Surgical Services in Hendersonville, North Carolina
DIRECTOR OF SURGICAL SERVICES
AdventHealth Hendersonville Park Ridge
100 Hospital Drive Hendersonville NC 28792
Ten Reasons To Work at AdventHealth Hendersonville
Located in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Co-workers who feel like family
Faith based environment
Full time exempt position, 40 hours per week Monday thru Friday
You Will Be Responsible For
· Must not only identify problems, but able to problem solve.
· Results will be indicated by Dashboard of outcomes and up-to-date on how to achieve.
· Exemplifies a good corporate citizen.
· Must understand mission, values and goals of organization.
· Results will be indicated by compliance with corporate measures, Progress ensured with core measures and Regulatory readiness of responsible operations
· Responsible to own the business. Take ownership for benefit of entire organization.
· Is mindful of relationships with physicians as a means to increase business volume. Understands clinical competence is not enough. Must make it convenient for physicians.
· Is passionate about the AdventHealth Experience.
· Results will be indicated by Ownership of the revenue line and the expense line, and understanding the marketplace, industry trends and customer preferences, and A constant search to enrich the patient experience, and Rounding in areas of responsibility and making changes as a result.
· Responsible to build his/her team. Associates are in the “right seat on the bus.” Discipline and reward as appropriate. Set high standards and demand performance which meets or exceeds. Communicate candidly and openly.
· Results will be indicated by Timely completion of performance appraisals, and objective administration of rewards and recognition, and Patient experience scores and associate engagement scores.
· Is fiscally responsible; a good steward of assets of company.
· Results will be indicated by Accurate and timely completion of time and attendance reports, and accurate and timely review of productivity reports through Visionware, and Accurate and timely review of patient charges, and Management of departmental expense/unit of service to budget.
· Is a two-way communicator. Shares information with associates and administration.
· Listens to associates in their department and other departments about how performance and productivity can be improved and problems solved.
· Listens to patients and physicians about how problems can be solved.
· Results will be indicated by Associates feel informed about goals and objectives of the organization and are empowered to make a difference and Associates, patients and physicians feel heard when they make a suggestion.
· Always shows a positive attitude.
· Results will be indicated by Enhancing rather than depleting energy and creating a culture of affirmation in areas of responsibility.
· Responsible for direction of patient care in the operative environment.
· Manages staff members in the Ambulatory Surgery, Surgery, PACU, and Central Services departments.
· Consults with staff, physicians and Nurse Executive on nursing issues and interpretation of hospital policies to ensure patient needs are met.
· Maintains performance improvement activities within the department and participates in CQI activities.
· Formulates budget for department.
· Directs action toward supervision of nursing care given to neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients within the surgical suite and PACU, according to nursing principles.
· Provides for safe transportation of all patients to and from Surgical Services Department.
· Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
· Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
· Verifies availability of all supplies required for correct operation of the department. Obtains supplies per PAR levels.
· Supervises and oversees sterilization process.
· Supervises care of OR suite and equipment to ensure cleanliness, sterility and operational ability of all items.
· Directs all safety measures to prevent accidents, harm or injury in any way to patient, staff or equipment.
· Controls traffic to avoid infection.
· Verifies that proper temperature, humidity, ventilation and lighting are maintained to provide a comfortable, safe work environment.
· Assists surgeons in operations through provision of qualified staff; formulates schedule which provides staff available for all procedures.
· Assures presence of Surgical Technician, RN circulator, and PACU nurses for all cases.
· Assigns personnel; delegates specific duties and tasks.
· Provides and controls supplies and equipment needed for successful operation of the Surgical Services Department. Directs and delegates control of inventories to ensure proper amounts available.
· Verifies that narcotics and controlled substances are counted and locked, per hospital policy.
· Follows the five medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
· Supervises care and cleanliness of equipment and supplies to ensure good working condition.
· Evaluates needs for new or different items in regard to present and new trends or needs of the department.
· Observes use and handling of supplies to decrease mishandling and breakage.
· Continuously supervises staff to ensure quality of nursing care.
· Delegates; reviews performance improvement monitoring; analyzes and evaluates Surgical Services Department to improve nursing care.
· Develops, revises and implements Surgical Services policies and procedures.
· Participates in planning Surgical Services Department budget.
· Provides monthly inservices.
· Provides orientation for new staff members.
· Plans, controls, directs and coordinates administrative duties to ensure the functioning of the department and staff.
· Completes evaluations and submits two weeks prior to review. New employees are given checklists, oriented and evaluated at the end of 90 days.
· Schedules and assigns staff to increase efficiency and coordination of department. Staffs according to standards.
· Reports changes of any type to Surgery staff and reports changes to departments affected by the changes (I.e., Pathology, Radiology).
· Demonstrates knowledge of nursing theory and management; demonstrates knowledge of disaster and emergency policies and procedures. Keeps informed of new developments in nursing and surgery. Demonstrates knowledge of good interpersonal relationships.
· Communicates job expectations; posts results of quality improvement monitoring.
· Conducts monthly staff meetings. Allows staff to participate in problem-solving.
· Ensures time sheets are accurately completed as required.
· Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self-motivated. Completes projects by due date.
· Demonstrates ownership and maintains knowledge of all Accrediting standards applicable to all departments within Surgical Services
· Completes other duties as assigned by Nurse Executive, within the Board of Registered Nurses scope of nursing practice.
You Will Need
Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing required
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required
Masters of Science in Nursing required or currently enrolled in program
At least 5 years of nursing management experience required
At least 5 years of experience in surgical nursing required
Current RN licensure in the state of North Carolina required
Current BLS certification required
Current ACLS certification or Basic EKG or Arrhythmia-identification certification required
Responsible for direction of patient care in the operative environment. Manages staff members in the Ambulatory Surgery, Surgery and PACU departments. Consults with staff, physicians and Nurse Executive on nursing issues and interpretation of hospital policies to ensure patient needs are met. Maintains performance improvement activities within the department and participates in CQI activities. Formulates budget for department.
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.