AdventHealth Lab Section Supervisor in Orange City, Florida
Lab Section Supervisor
AdventHealth Fish Memorial
Location Address: Orange City, FL
Top Reasons to Work at AdventHealth
- Career growth and advancement potential
- Faith Based organization
- State of the art lab facilities
You will be responsible for:
· Reviews test results for clerical errors, accuracy and reasonableness for the section using computerized reports. Resolves problems detected and counsels the technical staff as needed.
· Reviews quality controls results, resolves problems detected and documents actions taken. Reviews QC monthly with the pathologist as necessary
· Maintains section standard operating procedures. Creates, revises and reviews procedures as required.
· Maintains all appropriate records according to accreditation agency standards. Assists and coordinates AABB and CAP inspections.
· Coordinates and reviews proficiency testing prior to reporting results to the surveying agency. Reviews results and responds to any problem as necessary.
· Implements policies to maintain efficient utilization of personnel, materials and equipment in order to contain costs.
· Responsible for supply requisition and inventory control.
· Interfaces with the pathologists and lab director regarding new policies and procedures and problems and concerns pertaining to the laboratory.
· Performs cost analysis and revises procedure and instrumentation to ensure cost containment. Analyzes new technology and recommends changes in the section as needed.
· Oversees the implementation of new equipment including validation, calibration, correlation studies, training of staff, and other required activities.
· Responsible for the orientation of new employees, staff development, evaluation and documentation of competency of personnel rotating through the section.
· Discusses test results and technical issues with physicians and nursing personnel as requested.
· Serves as a member of the laboratory leadership team. Works collaboratively with colleagues
· Strives to include the mission and values of Florida Hospital Ormond Memorial/Oceanside in the daily activities of the section.
· Supervises the entire laboratory in the absence of the Laboratory Director when assigned.
· Functions as staff technologist when necessary.
· Demonstrates competency in the performance of laboratory procedures as they relate to specific age groups (neonate, child, and adolescent, adult, geriatric).
· Other responsibilities as designated by the Laboratory Director.
· Exhibits ICARE values and loving care in all interpersonal contacts. Establishes and maintains courteous, tactful and professional level of interpersonal skills necessary to deal effectively with customers and populations served, including:
o The public
o Medical staff
o External business associates
· Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills; maintains required level of confidentiality; interacts effectively with employees at all levels.
· Conforms to all Adventist Health System and Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center policies and procedures including but not limited to:
o Mission/Vision/Values and Philosophy
o Customer Service Pledge
o Corporate Compliance
o Rules of Conduct as outlined in the “Guidelines for Employees” handbook
o No Smoking
o Dress Code
· Establishes and maintains a history of regular attendance; makes appropriate use of PDO, and observes department call-in procedures for absence; establishes and maintains punctual work habits. Exhibits timely arrival and departure and dependable time habits including meal and other breaks.
· Attends/participates in mandatory facility-wide and department training/meetings as required including but not limited to: department Huddles, annual education, safety training, Town Halls, etc. Is able to demonstrate and apply knowledge of fire, safety, security, disaster procedure regulations and National Patient Safety Goals as presented in orientation, outlined in safety manual, and as pertains to each work area.
· Supports departmental and organizational Mission through:
o Embracing and demonstrating a commitment to Sacred Work
o Appropriate use of resources
o Providing assistance to team members
o Accepting work or schedule assignments
o Participating in process and performance improvement as required
· Required to respond to emergency situations (i.e., disasters, hurricanes, etc.) by reporting to department and staying until the crisis is over or position is covered by incoming personnel. This is a mandatory requirement. Refusal to respond may result in termination.
What You Will Need:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· B.S. degree in medical technology from an accredited school or B.S. in a biological science with clinical laboratory certification or Specialty in Blood Bank.
· Minimum of three years’ experience in the section supervised
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Must have a laboratory supervisor’s license in the pertinent specialty (ies) in the State of Florida or be eligible and obtain the license within one year of hire.
Under the general direction of the Laboratory Director, the Blood Bank Supervisor coordinates the work performed in the blood bank department. The supervisor maintains procedure manuals and implements new procedures according to the guidelines of the regulatory agencies. Supervises and participates in the evaluation of technical staff and students assigned to their respective area. Reviews quality control and quality assurance activities for the section. The Blood Bank supervisor resolves equipment and procedure problems with service and technical representatives. Ensures an appropriate inventory of reagents and supplies. Recommends disciplinary actions and training protocols for employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.