AdventHealth Clinical Pharmacist Specialist FT Orlando in Orlando, Florida
Top Reasons to work at AdventHealth - Orlando
- Located on a lush tropical campus, our flagship hospital, 1,368-bed AdventHealth Orlando
- Serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America
- AdventHealth Orlando houses one of the largest Emergency Departments and largest cardiac catheterization labs in the country
- We are already one of the busiest hospitals in the nation, providing service excellence to more than 32,000 inpatients and 125,000 outpatients each year
Demonstrates, through behavior, AdventHealth’s core values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship, and Teamwork
- Pharmacy Operations – Actively performs all pharmacist functions, actively participates in established standard work parameters, and maintains functional proficiency in and actively provides coverage of central pharmacy and satellite areas as requested. Oversees and ensures appropriate utilization of medication automation, technology, and computer systems. Accurately oversees the management of medication inventories and the preparation and dispensing of patient-specific medication doses. Supervises technician and intern practice, prioritizes work load, organizes work flow, and checks accuracy of pharmacy technician activities.
- Pharmacy Practice – Completes critical medication order scrutiny, drug profile review, and patient monitoring to identify, prevent, or mitigate medication-related problems. Proficiently verifies/enters medication orders and proactively communicates with medical staff to resolve problem medication orders. Provides patient-centered care services, including accurate, safe and timely medication therapy, and promotes cost-effective drug therapy, including actively participating in stewardship activities and restricted medication/surveillance programs. Initiates and facilitates appropriate drug dosing and manages medication-related pharmacist consults. Facilitates medication safety practices, including identifying, mitigating, and reporting potential and actual adverse drug events, adverse drug reactions, and medication errors. Participates in the management of medical emergencies. Maintains continuous learning and pharmacy practice development. Leads and facilitates pharmacy practice programs, directs patient care services, and medication systems, including developing and monitoring patient care and pharmacy practice metrics. Effectively collaborates with other hospital departments and strategic business unit leaders to advance patient care services and pharmacy programs.
- Clinical Pharmacy Services – Provides primary coverage of direct patient care programs and provides accurate, safe, timely, and appropriate medication therapy based on patient needs. Works as an active member of pharmacy clinical programs and multidisciplinary teams, collaborates with healthcare providers and decentralized pharmacy staff, and places practice priority on the delivery of patient-centered care. Provides comprehensive coverage of decentralized pharmacy areas and maintains expertise and continuity-of-practice in assigned patient care areas, clinical roles, and practice assignments. Leads and facilitates assigned patient service lines and therapeutic areas and assumes responsibility for the outcomes of the pharmacy care programs in assigned practice areas. Maintains evidenced-based expertise in specialty pharmacy practice (consistent with national pharmacy training standards) that is aligned with the needs of assigned clinical pharmacy service roles and patient care areas.
- Teamwork and Inter-professional Collaboration – Presents to assigned areas on time and ready to work and does not exhibit excessive unscheduled absenteeism. Ensures continuity of care between shifts, among pharmacy staff assignments, and across pharmacy practice areas. Supports other pharmacy operations and areas outside of current assignment. Works effectively with all members of the healthcare team to ensure the best outcome for the patient and demonstrates sensitivity to the perspective of the patient, caregiver, or health care colleague in all communications. Assists pharmacy managers with the integration of clinical pharmacy services, drug utilization programs, and pharmacy operations throughout the institution.
- Teaching, Training, Precepting, and Mentoring – Mentors new staff and assists with training of all staff as requested. Develops and maintains quality training opportunities and relationships for teaching and precepting pharmacy students and residents. Actively precepts and mentor’s pharmacy students (IPPE and APPE) and pharmacy residents (PGY1 and PGY2 residents). Demonstrates desire and aptitude for teaching and mentoring experiential education, maintains mastery of quality preceptor attributes including the four preceptor roles. Completes preceptor skills assessment and development programs and actively demonstrates preceptors’ skills credentials from approved sources. Delivers or mentors trainees to deliver effective evidence-based education to other healthcare providers.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, Doctor of Pharmacy, or other advanced pharmacy degree required
- Post Graduate Year One (PGY1) & Post Graduate Year Two (PGY2) Pharmacy Residency in specialty area consistent with practice needs of institution.
- PGY1 Residency plus contemporary hospital or specialty practice experience (3+ years) consistent with practice needs of institution
- Clinical pharmacy experience in contemporary hospital or specialty practice (5+ years) consistent with practice needs of institution
- Current, valid State of Florida Pharmacist license
- Board certification from the Board of Pharmacy Specialties
- Registration as a pharmacist preceptor with the Florida Board of Pharmacy and the various schools of pharmacy located within the State of FloridaPractice experience in a large hospital (greater than 500 bed institution) and integrated healthcare system (three or more hospitals in system)
- Pharmacy leadership experience within a hospital setting or professional organization
- Ability to define operational or program problems/needs and solutions
- Ability to integrate clinical and distributive pharmacy services with quality improvement, teaching, research, and professional development activities
- PGY2 in Cardiology
Primary responsibility is the provision of integrated clinical and distributive pharmacy services, decentralized inter-professional pharmacy practice, direct patient care programs, expert experiential pharmacy student and pharmacy resident training, and leadership of quality improvement and practice advancement initiatives. Performs all duties necessary for the effective daily operation of the central pharmacy, satellite pharmacy areas, and decentralized pharmacy areas. Proficiently leads general and specialty direct patient care programs, advanced drug management services, and all medication use systems throughout the institution. Actively functions as a member of clinical pharmacy services, decentralized pharmacy practice programs, and multidisciplinary teams to proficiently complete critical medication order scrutiny, drug profile review, and monitoring of patients with a broad range of disease states to identify, prevent, or mitigate medication-related problems. Actively participates in medication safety systems, regulatory compliance initiatives, patient quality services, and disease outcomes programs. Delivers general and specialty medication therapy management consult services and disease state management services as needed and proactively intervenes in all areas of medication use as appropriate to optimize patient outcomes. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.