AdventHealth Medical Records Coder I Otolaryngology FT Days in Ormond Beach, Florida
Medical Records Coder l Otolaryngology FT Days : AdventHealth Medical Group East FL
- Career Advancement
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Competitive Salary
- Great team of co-workers that feel like family
- Full Time, Monday-Friday.
- Performs review functions associated with accurate code assignment on referral and recurring patient accounts.
- Assigns diagnosis and procedure codes following ICD-9 and 10 Official Coding Guidelines for diagnoses and procedures, CMS, CPT, Coding Clinic guidelines, various other governing bodies and Department coding policies and procedures.
- Interprets and reviews medical record documentation to assign accurate diagnoses and procedure codes for hospital referral accounts according to the supporting physician documentation in the record.
- Validates that all clinical tests performed meet medical necessity according to local and national policies.
- Interacts with HIM employees and other departments to resolve issues and escalates problems to the appropriate level for resolution. Report any excessive or unusual write-offs to the appropriate level for further investigation.
- Demonstrates knowledge of sequencing diagnoses and procedures as outlined in the Official Coding Guidelines, Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set, CPT, and CMS guidelines.
- Abstracts data in compliance with national, state, regional, and local policies which includes all of the following. Reviews assigned charges in the charge viewer to verify what is ordered and what procedures are carried out. Communicates to various departments when charges need to be added, deleted, or changed and when discharge dispositions and patient type/status needs clarified. Assigns proper modifiers when needed. Reviews the encounter for proper admission source, discharge disposition, and assigns the operative physician and date of procedure to the chart-coding screen.
- Registered as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), or high school graduate with certification as a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Above knowledge requires two to four years in an HIM accredited program and or with successful completion of national certification exam.
- A minimum of one year outpatient coding experience preferred for a referral and recurring coder. Credentials as a RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CPC, are preferred or within six months of taking the national certification examination.
- Computer proficiency required.
- Performs a thorough review, assessment and analysis of the referral and recurring medical record documentation applying the appropriate ICD-9 and/or ICD 10 diagnoses and procedures codes, CPT procedure codes and modifiers for billing and classification
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.