AdventHealth Phleb/Lab Assistant in Palm Coast, Florida
Location Address: Palm Coast, FL
Top Reasons to Work at AdventHealth
- Career growth and advancement potential
- Faith Based organization
- State of the art lab facilities
You will be responsible for:
· Perform phlebotomy on inpatients and/or outpatients per procedure
· Correctly identify the patient
· Wear proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
· Able to locate a venipuncture site
· Draw specimens in the proper order
· Correctly label tubes at bedside/patient side
· Label tubes with time and Destiny id
· Apply dressing
· Properly dispose of Sharps and Biohazardous material
· Deliver specimens to the Processing area or appropriate department
· Use computer for various tasks
· Receive specimens
· Generate and fax patient reports when requested
· Cancel tests at the request of the floor
· Generate collection labels
· Generate and work collection lists
· Register patients
· Perform laboratory assistant duties
· Empty tube system, receive and deliver specimens to Processing
· Answer telephone, solve problems, route calls for others correctly
· Collect Chain of Custody specimens per procedure
· Identify patient by use of photo ID.
· Properly fill out forms
· Secure specimen for transport
· May be required to work at the outpatient area, Florida Hospital – East Region MedLab, or other facilities as needed.
· May be required to learn Registration including the entering of patient demographics, insurance information, Medical Necessity and ordering of tests.
· Required to learn how to process and/or deliver specimens to the proper department & fill in as needed
· May be required to fax reports to the doctors’ offices
· Perform other duties as assigned or as needed
· Responsible for complying with HIPAA, CAP, JC,OSHA and all other local, state and federal laws governing the hospital in general and the laboratory in particular
Must conform to all hospital and laboratory policies and procedures
What You Will Need:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Computer skills required.
· Good customer service skills.
· Excellent phlebotomy skills
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
· Computer skills preferred
· Good customer service skills
· Excellent phlebotomy skills especially on neonates or child
· Registration skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· High School diploma or equivalent.
1 year phlebotomy experience, preferably in a hospital setting, or completion of phlebotomy training course which includes an externship in an approved facility.
The phlebotomist is responsible for obtaining blood specimens on inpatients and outpatients of differing age groups as required. The phlebotomist must be able to obtain blood by the use of various phlebotomy techniques. They must be able to use the computer system for generating labels, collection lists and for retrieving copies of reports as well as other functions. They must ensure that all blood draws are performed and transported to the laboratory in a timely manner. They must maintain a close working relationship with the nursing floors and the laboratory technologists/technicians. The job requires tact and compassion. They may also be required to work at other hospital owned facilities or drawing at nursing homes. The job also includes learning patient registration and test ordering and processing functions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.