AdventHealth Lab Assistant Full Time Days 6 am to 2:30 pm Sebring in Sebring, Florida
Lab Assistant Full Time AdventHealth Heartland
Location Address: 4200 Sun 'n Lake Boulevard Sebring, FL 33872
- Faith Based & Mission driven Facility
- Largest Employer in the County
- Surrounded by beautiful Lakes, Golf Courses and Florida’s oldest State Park
- Close knit community with a home town family feel
- 2 hours to just about any beach on either Coast
- Follows department and hospital procedures and policies
- Follows infection control policies including the use of personal protective equipment
- Follows laboratory department dress code
- Follows Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals including, but not limited to, accurate laboratory sample identification.
- Attempts to answer the telephone within 2 rings; provides customer support in a professional, courteous and timely manner
- Monitors the pneumatic tube system to quickly address receipt of samples.
- Interacts with patients and family members in a considerate manner to help reduce anxiety and stress; strives to provide a positive experience with each patient encounter through AIDET
- Explains procedures to patients and answers questions in a positive and professional manner; instructs patients in the proper collection of certain non-blood specimens, explaining procedures while providing written instruction and allowing the patient to “teach back” where needed
- Is able to relate to patients AGE SPECIFICALLY, in a loving, kind, patient and respectful, and non-threatening way
- Prioritizes laboratory orders appropriately: stats, timed studies, routines
- Strives to provide rapid turnaround time for stat orders; sends samples to lab without delay
- Performs chain of custody drug screen collections
- Utilizes the computer to order tests, document specimen collection, locate test results
- Monitors pending issues and phlebotomy collections, Notifies supervisor of issues and distributes assignments to phlebotomy staff to ensure rapid turnaround of tests.
- Strives to provide rapid turnaround time for stat orders; prepares specimens for testing by licensed personnel; sends samples to appropriate area of lab without delay and notifies responsible tech
- Prepares specimens for send-outs to reference laboratories; uses centrifuge and prepares aliquots using at least 2 patient identifiers for positive patient identification
- Receives specimens from hospital courier, checks that each sample has been received appropriately and distributes to appropriate area of the lab for testing
- Communicates pending issues at end of shift and documents communication as requested
- Communicates with and responds appropriately to instruction from supervisor, techs, and other laboratory lead personnel
- Checks AHSS email daily and responds to work-related requests in a timely manner
- Uses phone, computer and internet for work-related purposes only
- Assists other team laboratory team members during slow periods
- Adheres to scheduled break times; clocks in and out for meal breaks
- Maintains a clean work area; keeps supplies stocked
- Works in an organized, efficient, and careful manner
- Distributes and faxes reports as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
- If phlebotomy is performed, see also Phlebotomy job description.
- Minimum of a High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Minimum of one (1) year of laboratory or healthcare-related experience
The Laboratory Assistant provides laboratory support through receipt and distribution of biological specimens within the laboratory and prepares specimens for testing by licensed personnel using established safety practices. Specimens are also prepared for submission to the reference laboratory, and assistance is provided to technologists as needed. The Laboratory Assistant exhibits professionalism and actively participates in outstanding customer services, creating an atmosphere of trust and confidence through verbal interactions on the telephone and in person. Work customarily involves practical knowledge of various clinical laboratory procedures, and may include clerical and other laboratory support functions as needed. The Laboratory Assistant must work well under pressure and be sensitive to the confidentiality of protected health information. The position requires exercise of judgment under general supervision.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.