Divisional Observation Surgery Coder in Training - AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
All the benefits and perks you need for you and your family:
Vision, Medical & Dental Benefits from Day One
Student Loan Repayment Program
Received Magnet® recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center in January 2019
Our promise to you:
Joining AdventHealth is about being part of something bigger. It’s about belonging to a community that believes in the wholeness of each person, and serves to uplift others in body, mind and spirit. AdventHealth is a place where you can thrive professionally, and grow spiritually, by Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ. Where you will be valued for who you are and the unique experiences you bring to our purpose-minded team. All while understanding that together we are even better.
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Shift : 40 hours a week; Days
Location: AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
The community you’ll be caring for:
At AdventHealth Shawnee Mission, formerly Shawnee Mission Medical Center, you're more than just a number on a chart. You're a whole person, who functions best when physically, emotionally, and spiritually fit. Find whole-person care, dedicated teams and staff, and a wide variety of medical services, all at our hospital in Shawnee Mission, Kansas.
The role you’ll contribute:
The Surgery and Observation Coder in training, under general supervision of the Regional Coding Manager and/or supervisor, is responsible for assigning codes and completing the abstract on Surgery and Observation medical records, using ICD-10-CM and CPT codes via the 3m Encoder, the Dolbey Computer Assisted Coding application and the Epic EMR. Reviews documentation and abstracts information from the chart to assign codes that show the patient’s acuity level and accurately represent the care provided in our surgery and observation patients. Will address NCCI/OCE edits by assigning modifiers when appropriate.
The value you’ll bring to the team:
· Abstracts information on observation and ambulatory surgery encounters.
· Appropriately assigns principal diagnosis and procedures utilizing physician documentation. Verifies diagnostic and procedure codes selected via Computer Assisted Coding (CAC), and Uniform Hospital Discharge documentation in the record supporting assigned diagnoses.
· Assigns modifiers as appropriate and according to NCCI guidelines.
· Reviews assigned charges in Epic to verify the charge appropriately represents what occurred during the hospital admission.
· Informs the coding management team of any coding or coding related issues that adversely impact the claims processing, coding accuracy, and compliance.
The expertise and experiences you’ll need to succeed :
· High school diploma and successfully completed a medical coding certificate program or 2 year HIM program
· Certified Coding Specialist
· Certified Professional Coder
· Registered Health Information Administrator
· Registered Health Information Technician
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.
Category: Health Information Management
Organization: AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
Shift: 1 - Day
Req ID: 23037977
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.
Job Schedule: Full-time
Pay Range: $21.04 - $33.66
Location: Shawnee, KS
Job ID: 23037977
Job Family: Health Information Management
Shift: 1 - Day