Histotechnologist– AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
All the benefits and perks you need for you and your family:
Vision, Medical & Dental Benefits from Day One
Student Loan Repayment Program
Received Magnet® recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center in January 2019
Our promise to you:
Joining AdventHealth is about being part of something bigger. It’s about belonging to a community that believes in the wholeness of each person, and serves to uplift others in body, mind and spirit. AdventHealth is a place where you can thrive professionally, and grow spiritually, by Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ. Where you will be valued for who you are and the unique experiences you bring to our purpose-minded team. All while understanding that together we are even better.
Schedule: FT days
Monday-Friday, some weekend duty possible
Location: AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
9100 West 74th Street, Merriam, KS 66204
The community you’ll be caring for:
At AdventHealth Shawnee Mission, formerly Shawnee Mission Medical Center, you're more than just a number on a chart. You're a whole person, who functions best when physically, emotionally, and spiritually fit. Find whole-person care, dedicated teams and staff, and a wide variety of medical services, all at our hospital in Shawnee Mission, Kansas.
The role you’ll contribute:
The Histotechnologist is responsible for processing of human tissue and body fluids. This includes accessioning, processing, embedding, sectioning, staining, cover slipping, labeling & distribution to the pathologist for final evaluation & diagnosis.
The value you’ll bring to the team:
· Shares technical knowledge with co-workers; assists with training & orientation of new employees/students & serves as a resource to current staff, students, & physicians.
· Shows enthusiasm in the workplace; actively involved in promoting morale, encouraging others, and improving associate satisfaction scores.
· Seeks opportunities to work cooperatively with other members of the hospital & system.
· Responds in a professional manner to customer requests & inquiries, assuming responsibility for seeing them through to completion.
· Communicates with internal and external customers, responding effectively to questions, issues or problems
· Adjusts to changing customer needs by adapting work habits, schedules, or matters of personal convenience to improve service.
· Willingly assists other associates during times of high volume workload.
· Recognizes limitations & asks for assistance/instruction when necessary.
· Participates in and maintains competency requirements for self and those in department
· Limits personal phone calls & business so as not to compromise productivity.
· Attendance pattern reflects commitment to job requirements & patient care needs.
· Demonstrates & models positive behaviors which are supportive of change.
· Works independently
· Uses time efficiently when regular workload is done to maintain department functions.
· Cross-trained between laboratory areas.
· Maintains clean, well-stocked, & organized work area.
· Takes responsibility for own actions; openly admits mistakes & seeks ways to correct the problem.
· Uses strong technical skills in performing problem solving, making decisions about and verifying section procedures with speed and accuracy.
· Produces high quality tissue sections & stains within a time frame that contributes to effective patient care.
· Prepare, evaluates & stains histology samples according to section guidelines.
· Ensures proper storage of slide & block archive material.
· Performs & evaluates quality control & equipment maintenance; corrects malfunctions or arranges for service as needed.
· Identifies & resolves technical problems, adapts procedures to ensure proper handling of unusual or special tissues.
· Uses the LIS efficiently to accession specimens, order tests & obtain information, in keeping with established protocols.
· Recognizes that the attainment of knowledge is every employee’s responsibility & accepts accountability for staying current on all written or electronic communication.
· Enhances technical & professional knowledge by participation in mandatory & continuing education opportunities.
· Understands & utilizes department resources, including department manuals, administrative policy manuals, safety manuals, MSDS & other reference material.
· Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment and follows established chemical hygiene and biohazard protocols.
The expertise and experiences you’ll need to succeed:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Associate’s Degree or Graduate of a Technical School
· No previous Experience is Required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Bachelor’s Degree
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· HT(Histotechnologist)-ACCP Certified or Equivalent
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.
Organization: AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
Shift: 1 - Day
Req ID: 23035536
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.
Job Schedule: Full-time
Pay Range: $21.669 - $34.37
Location: Shawnee, KS
Job ID: 23035536
Job Family: Laboratory
Shift: 1 - Day