AdventHealth Certified First Assist II Full Time Days Possible $10K Sign-On Bonus Tampa in Tampa, Florida
Location Address: 3100 East Fletcher Avenue Tampa, Florida 33613
Florida Hospital Pepin Heart Institute, known across the country for its advances in cardiovascular disease prevention, diagnosis, treatment and research.
Surgical Pioneers – the first in Tampa with the latest robotics in spine surgery
Building a brand new, six story surgical and patient care tower which will ensure state of the art medical and surgical car for generations to come
Awarded the Get With The Guidelines – Stroke GOLD Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association and have been recognized as a recipient of their Target: Stroke Honor Roll for our expertise in stroke care. We have also received certification by The Joint Commission in collaboration with the American Stroke Association as a Primary Stroke Center.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. The surgeon shall convey the exact position that will give the best exposure for the surgical procedure. The surgical assistant will carry out this order. Consideration will be given to the patient’s comfort and safety.
B. Points of pressure shall be padded: elbows, heels, knees, eyes, face, and axillary region.
C. Circulation shall not be impaired. (A tourniquet may be required for some procedures.)
D. Nerve damage shall be guarded against.
E. The temperature of the patient should be discussed with the anesthesia personnel and methods employed to maintain the desired temperature range.
F. The surgical assistant shall be familiar with common positions related to the surgical procedure and will be able to use the equipment necessary to provide the position.
Competencies will include the following:
(1) Fracture tables
(2) Head stabilizers
(3) Body stabilizers
(4) C-arm extensions
(5) Any other equipment needed
G. Upon completion of the procedure, the patient shall be evaluated for any possible damage from positioning which will include assessment of the skin. The abnormal condition shall be reported to the surgeon and treatment and documentation shall be carried out.
2. Providing visualization of the operative site by the following:
A. Appropriate placement and securing of retractors with or without padding
B. Packing with sponges
C. Digital manipulation of tissue
D. Suctioning, irrigating, or sponging
E. Manipulation of suture materials (e.g., loops, tags, running sutures)
F. Proper use of body mechanics to prevent obstruction of the surgeon’s view
3. Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with hemostasis
(1) Clamping and/or cauterizing vessels or tissue
(2) Tying and/or ligating clamped vessels or tissue
(3) Applying hemostatic clips
(4) Placing local hemostatic agents
(1) Applying tourniquets and demonstrating awareness of the indications/contraindications for use with knowledge of side effects of extended use
(2) Applying vessel loops
(3) Applying non-crushing clamps
4. Participating in volume replacement or auto-transfusion techniques as appropriate
5. Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with closure of body planes
A. Utilizing running or interrupted subcutaneous sutures with absorbable or non-absorbable material
B. Utilizing subcuticular closure technique with or without adhesive skin closure strips
C. Closing skin with method indicated by surgeon (suture, staples, etc.
D. Postoperative subcutaneous injection of local anesthetic agent as directed by the surgeon
6. Selecting and applying appropriate wound dressings, including the following:
A. Liquid or spray occlusive materials
B. Absorbent material affixed with tape or circumferential wrapping.
C. Immobilizing dressing (soft or rigid)
7. Providing assistance in securing drainage systems to tissue
8. Performs operative shave prep, scrub, urinary catheterization, or other patient care tasks as assigned by the RN
· Proficient in scrubbing for all operative procedures within the scope of service
· Setup of procedure/operating room with correct instrumentation and supplies for the scheduled case
· Identifies unsafe or defective instrument/equipment and implements appropriate corrective action
· Cleans instruments, equipment and room as appropriate when procedure is completed
11. Ensures proper disposal of instruments, linen, trash, needles, sponges and other bio hazardous waste
12. Completes all annual mandatory educational requirements
14. Primary preceptor for orientation and instruction of surgical personnel
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and to demonstrate that s/he can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Course
· Able to precept and act as resource person and preceptor in multiple surgical specialties
· Minimum three years’ experience as as a CST/CFA (CST experience calculated at ½ years experience).
· Specialist in at least 2 major surgical specialties (Orthopedics and Neurosurgery/Spine) and Robotics.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
National Board of Surgical Technician and Surgical Assistant (NBSTA) or
National Commission for the Certification of Surgical Assistant (NCCSA)
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
How we treat those we serve and each other is what sets us apart from other healthcare organizations. We want everyone who walks through our doors to feel loved, cared for, and at ease. Whether you are clinical or non-clinical, your actions and behaviors can create an environment that either builds trust or causes anxiety and fear. We have made it easy for you to ensure that you are always building trust and providing excellent care by exhibiting our Service Standards.
All team members will be held accountable for consistently living out our 16 Service Standards and the additional behaviors listed below to ensure that every person, every time has an exceptional experience.
I follow the dress code and wear my badge correctly.
I nurture whole-person care through CREATION Health.
I listen and communicate using iCARE. (Introduce, Connect, Anticipate, Reinforce, Extend)
I innovate and continually seek ways to improve our work.
I recover service and restore trust using ACT. (Acknowledge/Apologize, Correct, Thank)
Team members must conform to all AdventHealth organizational and departmental policies and procedures including but not limited to:
· Code of Conduct as outlined in the “Guidelines for Employees” handbook
Establishes and maintains a history of regular attendance; makes appropriate use of PDO and observes department call-in procedures for absence; establishes and maintains punctual work habits. Exhibits timely arrival and departure and dependable time habits including meal and other breaks.
Attends and participates in mandatory facility-wide and department training/meetings as required (including but not limited to: ALN, safety training, etc.). Is able to demonstrate and apply knowledge of fire, safety, security, and disaster procedure regulations as presented in orientation, outlined in the safety manual, and as pertains to each work area.
Required to respond to emergency situations (i.e. disasters, hurricanes, etc.) by reporting to department and staying until the crisis is over or your position is covered by incoming personnel. This is a mandatory requirement. Refusal to respond may result in termination.
Contributes to the successful achievement of department-stated goals and objectives and will facilitate staff cohesiveness and communication.
This position description reflects the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The responsibilities listed may be subject to change at any time and individuals may be asked to perform duties outside of their regular responsibilities to support the ongoing operations of AdventHealth and its facilities
Prepares and maintains the surgical area, scrubs and is first assistant to the physician during procedures, assists the RN in technical functions related to patient care in the OR and assists in the training of others and functions as a resource within the department.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.