Certified First Assist AdventHealth Carrollwood
Location Address: 7171 North Dale Mabry Highway Tampa, Florida 33614
Top Reasons to Work At AdventHealth Carrollwood
Possible Sign-on up to $10,000.
Teamwork driven both inter Dept and multidisciplinary
Positive working climate to support a well-balanced work life balance
Full Time Days 4x10 40 hours per week. 30-minute call required to include rotating weekends and holidays.
You Will Be Responsible For:
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES :
Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program
- Positioning the patient
A. The surgeon shall convey the exact position that will give the best exposure for the surgical procedure. The surgical assistant will carry out this order. Consideration will be given to the patient’s comfort and safety.
B. Points of pressure shall be padded: elbows, heels, knees, eyes, face, and axillary region.
C. Circulation shall not be impaired. (A tourniquet may be required for some procedures.)
D. Nerve damage shall be guarded against.
E. The temperature of the patient should be discussed with the anesthesia personnel and methods employed to maintain the desired temperature range.
F. The surgical assistant shall be familiar with common positions related to the surgical procedure and will be able to use the equipment necessary to provide the position.
Competencies will include the following:
(1) Fracture tables
(2) Head stabilizers
(3) Body stabilizers
(4) C-arm extensions
(5) Any other equipment needed
G. Upon completion of the procedure, the patient shall be evaluated for any possible damage from positioning which will include assessment of the skin. The abnormal condition shall be reported to the surgeon and treatment and documentation shall be carried out.
- Providing visualization of the operative site by the following:
A. Appropriate placement and securing of retractors with or without padding.
B. Packing with sponges
C. Digital manipulation of tissue
D. Suctioning, irrigating, or sponging
E. Manipulation of suture materials (e.g., loops, tags, running sutures).
F. Proper use of body mechanics to prevent obstruction of the surgeon’s view.
- Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with hemostasis.
(1) Clamping and/or cauterizing vessels or tissue
(2) Tying and/or ligating clamped vessels or tissue
(3) Applying hemostatic clips
(4) Placing local hemostatic agents
(1) Applying tourniquets and demonstrating awareness of the indications/contraindications for use with knowledge of side effects of extended use.
(2) Applying vessel loops
(3) Applying non-crushing clamps
(4) Applying direct digital pressure
Participating in volume replacement or auto-transfusion techniques as appropriate.
Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with closure of body planes.
A. Utilizing running or interrupted subcutaneous sutures with absorbable or non-absorbable material.
B. Utilizing subcuticular closure technique with or without adhesive skin closure strips.
C. Closing skin with method indicated by surgeon (suture, staples, etc.
D. Postoperative subcutaneous injection of local anesthetic agent as directed by the surgeon.
- Selecting and applying appropriate wound dressings, including the following:
A. Liquid or spray occlusive materials
B. Absorbent material affixed with tape or circumferential wrapping.
C. Immobilizing dressing (soft or rigid)
Providing assistance in securing drainage systems to tissue
Performs operative shave prep, scrub, urinary catheterization, or other patient care tasks as assigned by the RN.
Anticipates the moves of the surgeon.
Prepares and maintains surgical area:
· Proficient in scrubbing for all operative procedures within the scope of service
· Setup of procedure/operating room with correct instrumentation and supplies for the scheduled case
· Identifies unsafe or defective instrument/equipment and implements appropriate corrective action
· Verifies completeness of instruments/sponge/needle count
· Cleans instruments, equipment and room as appropriate when procedure is completed
Ensures proper disposal of instruments, linen, trash, needles, sponges and other biohazardous waste.
Completes all annual mandatory educational requirements.
Attends 75% of unit staff meetings.
Assist in orientation and instruction of surgical personnel.
What You Will Need:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED :
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and to demonstrate that s/he can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
· Knowledge of Anatomy
· Assist the surgeon in the Surgical Procedures
· Prepares and maintains surgical area
· Performs technical responsibilities for optimal patient care
· Serves as a resource person
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED :
· High School education or equivalent.
· Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Course.
· Four years’ experience as a Surgical Technologist prior to CFA.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Completion of Certified Surgical Assisting Program
· Robotic Experience
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED :
· Certification as a First Assistant through one of the following:
o National Board of Surgical Technician and Surgical Assistant (NBSTA) or
o American Board of Surgical Assistant. (ABSA) or
o National Commission for the Certification of Surgical Assistant (NCCSA)
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
FACILITY SPECIFIC SECTION:
i.e. vision, values, etc.
· Honor's patient's rights by following privacy guidelines and code of ethics with our patients, physicians, co-workers, and guests.
· Demonstrates honesty and fairness in all that they do and accepts accountability for their actions.
· Recognize and anticipate the needs of others and go beyond their job to exceed expectations of those we serve.
· Greets everyone they encounter with a smile, using caring tone during conversations, and makes frequent and appropriate eye contact.
· Use common courtesy practices such as helping lost individuals, saying please and thank you, and knocking on a patient's door before entering.
· Proactively support a culture of safety and quality.
· Listen respectfully and avoid defensiveness in verbal and non-verbal communication. Exhibit willingness to assist co-workers.
· Display support in organizational decisions in their communication and actions. Refrains from gossiping and spreading rumors.
· Looks for opportunities to support, recognize and celebrate teamwork.
EXPECTED BEHAVIORS :
· Conduct themselves in a calm and collected manner at all times.
· Demonstrate patient/customer focused, compassionate behavior.
· Take responsibility for decisions, actions and results and deliver on commitments.
· Practice financial responsibility.
· Cooperate and collaborate with team members and others.
· Comply with the Employee Code of Conduct and all other Hospital Institutional Policies and Procedures.
· Demonstrate compliance with all federal, state and local laws; rules and government.
· Demonstrate effective communication skills with all team members, patients and families.
· Maintain satisfactory participation and attendance at required and non-required meetings and staff development programs.
· Promote evidence of adherence to the hospital confidentiality policy.
This position description reflects the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The responsibilities listed may be subject to change at any time and individuals may be asked to perform duties outside of their regular responsibilities to support the ongoing operations of Adventist Health System and its facilitie
Prepares and maintains the surgical area, scrubs and is first assistant to the physician during procedures, assists the RN in technical functions related to patient care in the OR and assists in the training of others and functions as a resource within the department.
What You Will Need:
"Insert Requirement Here then Bullet"
"Insert Requirement Here"
"Insert General Job Summary Here"
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.
Category: Patient Care
Organization: AdventHealth Carrollwood
Shift: 1 - Day
Travel: AdventHealth Carrollwood
Req ID: 21031873
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.