AdventHealth Surgical Technician Full Time Days North Pinellas in Tarpon Springs, Florida
Location Address: 1395 S Pinellas Avenue, Tarpon Springs, Florida 34689
- Great Culture
- Top Quality outcomes
- Nurse Excellence Committee (NEC)/Governance
- Leadership is accessible
- Located on the Gulf of Mexico
- You Will Be Responsible For:
- PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates with the professional nurse in planning for and preparing for surgical procedures in the assigned areas.
- Sets up sterile instruments and supplies and assists the surgeon with instruments, sutures and supplies during the course of surgery.
- Observes and reports to the professional nurse pertinent observations, sterile technique, the patient’s physical condition and doctors’ needs.
- Assists in providing a safe, clean and comfortable environment for patients.
- Demonstrates initiative by performing other functions such as cleaning the room, including the floor, between surgeries.
- Responsible for watching and protecting sterile items and for staying in the assigned sterile area and keeping unsterile people and unsterile objects from contaminating sterile area or self.
- Maintains proper position during all cases so as not to contaminate self and supplies or hamper progress of the surgery.
- Assists in training new OR personnel, as requested.
- Directly responsible for appropriate use of department equipment and supplies required in standard care of patients. Prudent use of equipment, supplies, time and personnel will prevent monetary loss or damage to resources that could be minimal or substantial.
- Complies with department safety policies, procedures and protocol. Responsible to help ensure that the safety and physical well-being of patients, family members, visitors and co-workers are maintained.
- Participates in unit specific and multi-disciplinary Performance Improvement activities at the Hospital/Unit-based level.
What You Will Need:
· Minimum of one year scrub experience in a multi-disciplinary surgical service.
· High School diploma or equivalent.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Current Basic Life Support-C
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
· Current Operating Room Technician Certification.
FUNDAMENTAL INSTITUTIONAL EXPECTATIONS
· Complies with the Employee Code of Ethics, Employee Guidelines/Policies
· Demonstrates compliance with all federal, state and local laws; rules and government.
· Verbalizes understanding of reporting process of any actual or perceived violation.
· Recognizes incidents as defined and described in the Hospital’s Institutional Policies and Procedures
· Understands the method and reasoning for reporting incidents.
· Demonstrates ability to complete the Hospital’s Incident Report Form.
· Assists others in recognizing and reducing risk within the department or other areas of the Hospital.
Environment of Care/Infection Control:
· Follows hospital and departmental Safety policies and procedures.
· Wears nametag identification and is aware of role in minimizing Security incidents.
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in Hazardous Materials and Waste Program, including procedures to follow in case of spill.
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Life Safety Program and participates in Fire Drills as appropriate.
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in Emergency Preparedness Program, participates in Disaster Drills as appropriate.
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Medical Equipment Program and how to report malfunctioning equipment
· Demonstrates knowledge of role in the Utility Systems Program and the department(s) response to utility failure.
· Follows hospital and departmental Infection Control policies and procedures.
Participates in the Program for Improving Quality
· Participates in Quality Improvement activities to improve processes and patient care.
· Implements actions, as appropriate, recommended by Quality Improvement Teams and the hospital wide Quality Coordinating Council.
Is Knowledgeable and Complies with the Stated Institutional Activities and Expectations
· Demonstrates effective communication skills with all team members, patients and families.
· Maintains satisfactory participation and attendance at required and non-required meetings and staff development programs.
· Maintains satisfactory work attendance
· Promotes evidence of adherence to the hospital confidentiality policy
Provides care and safety of the patient while in the Operating Room under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse. By knowledge and assessment of the individual patient and procedure, the technician anticipates the needs of the surgeon and provides this service while maintaining an aseptic and safe environment. Represents the Department of Nursing in a professional and courteous manner. This individual will often coordinate his/her work to meet the ever-changing needs of the department/hospital. Day-to-day responsibilities require good use of judgment regarding timely and appropriate communication with the hospital staff, patients and visitors. Recognizes the need for teamwork and functions as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.