AdventHealth Lab Assistant III Full Time Evenings in Tavares, Florida
- Follows established procedures for patient and specimen identification.
- Appropriately performs basic and specialize phlebotomy techniques to obtain specimens; collects and handles specimens in manner consistent with specific test requirements.
- Receives specimens from outside clients, in house deliveries and pneumatic tube system; checks specimens against order for correctness; records receipt in LIS system; attaches laboratory labels and delivers specimens to appropriate laboratory area.
- Performs special phlebotomy techniques including but not limited to: Blood Culture, infant venipuncture, PKU, butterfly, syringe, heelstick and fingerstick collections.
- Observes and adheres to established infection control policies, including, but not limited to: the mandatory use of gloves and appropriate outerwear, hand washing techniques and other universal precautions.
- Identifies specimen, labeling and/or requisition problems that may adversely affect test performance and the correct reporting of test results prior to delivery of the specimen to the laboratory department; corrects problem or notifies appropriate technologist/supervisor if the problem cannot be resolved.
- Follows up on order or specimen problems with the floor, physician offices and outreach customers as directed by the technical staff; completes variance report when appropriate.
- Uses LIS in specimen receipt, collection verification, ordering/canceling of tests, modification of LIS orders and inquiry functions; provides proper documentation when appropriate.
- Able to operate and assist in maintaining hospital vehicles (including appropriate use of gas credit cards for fueling and car washes); provide personal vehicle for hospital use if needed (and receive mileage reimbursement); maintain safe driving record; uses appropriate sign out procedures for vehicles.
- Request supplies for specimen receiving, phlebotomy area and/or outreach area from the appropriate Lab or designee
- High school graduate (or equivalent) required.
- One-year phlebotomy experience, preferably in a hospital setting, OR completion of phlebotomy training course (which included an externship in an approved facility).
- Must have good driving record and valid Florida driver’s license.
- Computer knowledge
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- Good attendance record
- Phlebotomy certification required
- Prior medical experience or training preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.