AdventHealth Lab Assistant Part Time Nights ( Every Saturday ) in Winter Park, Florida
Laboratory Assistant - AdventHealth - LOCATION
You Will Be Responsible For:
- Demonstrates through behavior AdventHealth’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program.
- Performs assigned pre-analytical activities related to laboratory testing, which may include general equipment maintenance, function checks and documentation; inventory control and supply stocking; blood specimen collection to include phlebotomy and skin puncture for all age groups; biological specimen processing; cleaning and disinfection of selected or assigned laboratory equipment and spaces; and other pre-analytical activities.
- Continually maintains work spaces in a neat, organized, and properly supplied; properly stores documentation and paperwork.
- Performs post-analytical activities related to laboratory testing as needed to support assigned department.
- Performs various support activities to facilitate operation of assigned department or work area, which may include answering the telephone, clerical and receptionist duties.
- Assists in teaching new staff and Phlebotomy Students when assigned.
What You Will Need:
- Technical skills and aptitudes related to the laboratory procedures or processes performed in department or work area assigned.
- Able to effectively communicate verbally and in written form in English with patients, staff, and customers of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective, and professional manner.
- Ability to read text and numbers in English, with demonstrated ability to comprehend, measure, reason, match, problem solve, and exercise judgment under supervision. Ability to respond appropriately to buzzers, bells, flashing lights, and pagers.
- Ability to learn and apply computer related applications and programs, including using electronic keyboards and other peripheral devices.
- Mature judgment and the ability to handle confidential information within AdventHealth guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Ability to handle infectious biological specimens, caustics, toxic chemicals and/or irritants appropriately and safely.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 1-year experience in hospital laboratory setting appropriate to department work assigned.
- Completion of Blood Collection Program, Medical Assistant Program, or similar training program appropriate to anticipated department assignment, OR
- Nationally certified in blood collection if phlebotomy duties are required, OR
- Certification as a Lab Assistant
The Laboratory Assistant performs various laboratory support procedures in assigned areas which may include phlebotomy and/or specimen processing in clinical and anatomical pathology areas. Work customarily involves practical knowledge in various laboratory procedures and support functions. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.