AdventHealth Surgical Tech First Assist Full Time Days Possible $10,000 Sign-On Bonus Zephyrhills in Zephyrhills, Florida
Location Address: 7050 Gall Boulevard Zephyrhills, Florida 33541
- FH Zeph/Dade City Named One of America’s Best Hospitals for Heart Care, Orthopedics, Stroke Centers and Patient Safety three years in a row “2017-2019” by the Women’s Choice Award
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade A Spring/Fall 2018
- One of only 35 Hospitals Nationally Named as a Top General Hospital by The Leapfrog Group
- Four Star Recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2019 by Health grades
- First in Florida to earn Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Total Knee by The Joint Commission
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Participates with the professional nurse in planning for and preparing for surgical procedures in the assigned areas.
· Sets up sterile instruments and supplies, if needed, and assists the surgeon with instruments, sutures and supplies during the course of surgery.
· Observes and reports to the professional nurse pertinent observations, regarding sterile technique
· Assists in providing a safe, clean and comfortable environment for patients.
· Demonstrates initiative by performing other functions such as cleaning the room, including the floor, between surgeries.
· Shares responsibility for watching and protecting sterile items and for staying in the assigned sterile area and keeping unsterile people and unsterile objects from contaminating sterile area or self.
· Maintains proper position during all cases so as not to contaminate self and supplies or hamper progress of the surgery.
· Assists in training new OR personnel, as requested.
· Directly responsible for appropriate use of department equipment and supplies required in standard care of patients. Prudent use of equipment, supplies, time and personnel will prevent monetary loss or damage to resources that could be minimal or substantial.
· Complies with department safety policies, procedures and protocol. Responsible to help ensure that the safety and physical well-being of patients, family members, visitors and co-workers are maintained.
· Participates in unit specific and multi-disciplinary Performance Improvement activities at the Hospital/Unit-based level.
· Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
· Follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to Circulating RN and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
· Provides and documents treatments and procedures as indicated and within the defined scope of practice
· Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure
· Assists in positioning, prepping and draping of patients for surgical procedures
· Prepares for procedures and anticipates needs of surgeon during intra-operative phase as appropriate.
· Under direct supervision of the surgeon, provides assistance during procedures by: using retractors to provide exposure, providing hemostasis, and dressing the wound.
· Regularly collaborates with other members of the nursing team, in order to maintain equipment and supplies for surgical procedures. Follows written procedures for steam sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring.
· Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgment within the scope of practice, reflecting knowledge of assigned case and instruments and/or trays to be pulled for the procedure.
· Team member will work the assigned unit based on his/her orientation, competencies and patient needs to include floating between Dade City and Zephyrhills as assigned.
· Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule.
· Ability and willingness to adapt to change.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Ability to multitask.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
· Completion of High School/GED
· Graduate of Surgical Technology school/course or equivalent training
· Minimum of 1years work experience as CST/FA
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Minimum of 2 years work experience as CST/First Assistant
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
· Current American Heart Association BLS certification
· Current certification for CST
· Current certification for CSFA/CFA
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
· Documentation of wound closure class/education
LIVING OUR SERVICE STANDARDS
How we treat those we serve and each other is what sets us apart from other healthcare organizations. We want everyone who walks through our doors to feel loved, cared for, and at ease. Whether you are clinical or non-clinical, your actions and behaviors can create an environment that either builds trust or causes anxiety and fear. We have made it easy for you to ensure that you are always building trust and providing excellent care by exhibiting our Service Standards.
All team members will be held accountable for consistently living out our 16 Service Standards and the additional behaviors listed below to ensure that every person, every time has an exceptional experience.
I listen and communicate using iCARE. (Introduce, Connect, Anticipate, Reinforce, Extend)
I innovate and continually seek ways to improve our work.
I recover service and restore trust using ACT. (Acknowledge/Apologize, Correct, Thank)
Team members must conform to all AdventHealth organizational and departmental policies and procedures including but not limited to:
· Code of Conduct as outlined in the “Guidelines for Employees” handbook
Establishes and maintains a history of regular attendance; makes appropriate use of PDO and observes department call-in procedures for absence; establishes and maintains punctual work habits. Exhibits timely arrival and departure and dependable time habits including meal and other breaks.
Attends and participates in mandatory facility-wide and department training/meetings as required (including but not limited to: ALN, safety training, etc.). Is able to demonstrate and apply knowledge of fire, safety, security, and disaster procedure regulations as presented in orientation, outlined in the safety manual, and as pertains to each work area.
Required to respond to emergency situations (i.e. disasters, hurricanes, etc.) by reporting to department and staying until the crisis is over or your position is covered by incoming personnel. This is a mandatory requirement. Refusal to respond may result in termination.
Contributes to the successful achievement of department-stated goals and objectives and will facilitate staff cohesiveness and communication.
Provides care and safety of the patient while in the Operating Room under the direct supervision of the registered nurse and physician. By knowledge and assessment of the individual patient and procedure, the first assistant anticipates the needs of the surgeon and provides this service while maintaining an aseptic and safe environment. Represents the Department of Nursing in a professional and courteous manner. This individual will often coordinate his/her work to meet the ever-changing needs of the department/hospital. Day-to-day responsibilities require good use of judgment regarding timely and appropriate communication with the hospital staff, patients and visitors. Recognizes the need for teamwork and functions as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age or disability/handicap with respect to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion, wages, benefits and other terms and conditions of employment.